Monday, October 1, 2012

Hungry Bass in the Beaver Pond

Government biologists tell me that this isn't fish habitat
Doing what I do, both at work and in my (rare) spare time, puts me in contact with lots of other similarly minded people.  Or at least similarly trained people.

One group really gets under my skin - I call them armchair ecologists.  These are folks who aren't fond of strapping on some waders and getting out to understand the resource.  They are fond, however, of making bold proclamations not based in reality, like, "beaver dams are a fish migration blockage!" and "I'm not sure this stream restoration can be permitted - better to leave it as this ditch full of livestock."

Aww.  They are so cute.  On that first topic, I wonder if fish can ever migrate up through beaver dams, into beaver ponds?  It seems so impossible!





This was just a short selection - caught that weird pumpkinseed/green sunfish hybrid and 9 largemouth in about 90 minutes.  The barometer was bottoming out right before a cold front, and the fish were hunting on the edges of weed beds.  Not extremely aggressive, but aggressive enough.   I've fly fished this beaver pond before - mistake.  I've also fished deeper lures here before - mistake.

The winning recipe on this day - my most successful of 4 fishing "trips" here to date - were silver floating minnows and pin minnows, Joe's Flies black muddler with gold spoon, and beetle spins in black and white with gold spoons.

I guess I should forget it all, though.  Fish can't migrate up here anyway.  

4 comments:

cofisher said...

Find someone else to fish...there ain't none here. LOL!

biobabbler said...

I'm so glad I read this post today. Minutes ago I added the following to my blog's "deep thoughts" on the sidebar:

If you understand everything,
you must be misinformed.
-- Japanese proverb

And after my signature on gmail is this:

The fool doth think he is wise,
but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare, "As You Like It," Act v. Sc. 1

That's part of what I love about nature: it's so humbling. =) Way too complex and dynamic for our little brains to fully grasp. Tho' it's fun to try.

River Mud said...

I guess that's my conundrum....since I work on the "project-by-project" end of conservation, I get to see very frankly, "Oops, made that wrong call on that one," and to stay in that type of work, you have to accept some level of humility - that this next time, you could, in fact, be completely wrong. And there will be consequences if you are (i.e. lawsuits etc).

Don't encounter that level of humility and concern often enough with folks in ivory towers and government cubicles. Which is sad, since both of those groups have IMMENSE power to change baselines of how ecology and conservation are practiced by "clod kickers" like myself.

Anonymous said...

you love this? tlZXyqAp [URL=http://www.aaareplicahandbags.weebly.com/]purse mirror[/URL] for promotion code lmFgCwMp [URL=http://www.aaareplicahandbags.weebly.com/ ] http://www.aaareplicahandbags.weebly.com/ [/URL]